Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Luang Prabang

Disclaimer: At the time of writing this I've been traveling from Muang Ngoy for 26/28 hours with about 1 hours sleep so don't expect much from below! I'll try to update the blog with some witty comments and interesting stories another day ;)

So with that in mind lets do a quick run down of the last week or so, we left Vang Vien & heaed to Luang Prabang for New Years. It is a beautiful town and much more traditional than the drinking partying Vang Vien. We suffered a bit of confusion with our hostel when we arrived, being that it wasn't booked. We ended up staying across the road at a rip off price for the first night and transferred to the dorms across the way the next night. Alan missed out on the dorm but lucky a couple we had met tubing offered him the spare bed in their room so it all worked out!

The next 3 days were spent having water fights, boozing it up with Laos and eating great food. Our hostel even invited us to walk in the parade after which we got totally soaked to the bone within 5 minutes. I did manage to shoot some people high up in windows though, no on was safe! :D







One of the days we headed out to a waterfall near by, myself & Leon went up to the top where we found an amazing deep pool that ran straight up to the edge of the 30 meter drop. I still couldn't swim so left it to Leon and took some pictures. A bunch of Chinese guys took an interest in me when I went under one of the smaller falls and I had to pose for a few photos. Nice to be famous!







Leon's last night was one of the funniest we had there, most of the group went home as the bars shut at 11:30pm, but we bumped into some other travelers and hung outside a shop. At some point 2 Laos guys joined us and one of them started to hit on Leon. When he had no joy he moved onto me! Once we convinced the two guys we weren't interested we had a great night with them, we set them on passing travelers & one very nervous Australian dude. The guys knew shops that still sold beer at 4am so a couple of quick scooter trips were made, I think we stumbled home at about 5am and that was the last I saw of King Leon III.

Next stop up on the trip was a jungle town called Muang Ngoy which I will post about later today.





1 comment:

  1. Hi there Pete I'm Colms Auntie. Malachy McE gave me a link to your well worded blog. Say hi to him - you know it's not just the locals that like him, we think he's pretty ok too. Sounds like you guys are just havin too much fun. Pictures look amazin. Eagerly awaiting the next chapter. Auntie Carmel

    ReplyDelete